- You must be at least 17 years old to drive a Car (category B) but you can sit the theory test as early as 15 years of age.
- You can apply for the theory test online at www.dtts.ie.
- You must pass the Theory Test by getting at least 35 questions right out of 40. If you succeed your pass certificate is valid for only two years. Check out www.dtts.ie or phone 1890 616 216 for more information on the Driver Theory Test. The cost to do the Theory Test is €35.60. Make sure to bring Photo I.D (E.g.: Passport) to the Theory Test Centre with you.
- You must undergo an eyesight examination from an Optician or Doctor.
- Your application must also have Two Passport size photos which need to be signed on the back.
- You need to apply to your local NDLS Centre (Redmond Square, Wexford) for your Learner Permit. Make sure to have your theory test pass certificate, eyesight report, two photos signed at the back, a form of ID such as your Birth Certificate or Passport and the appropriate fee of €15 for a category B Permit (car/light van).
- You only need a medical report if applying for Categories C1, C, D1, D, EC1, EC, ED1 or ED. You do not need a medical report if you are only going to be driving a Car or Light Van.
- You should get professional driving lessons from an ADI (Approved Driving Instructor).
- You must hold a Learner’s Permit for 6 months before doing a Driving Test.
- If your Learner Permit was issued on or after 4th April 2011 you must take 12 Driving Lessons from an Approved Driving Instructor before you are allowed to sit the driving test. The first 8 of these lessons should be taken firstly with a 2 week gap in between each lesson, then the final 4 can be taken in any order. Your Instructor will provide you with a logbook which must be signed after each lesson.
- Once you successfully pass the Test, you must display N Plates for the first two years of your License.
If you wish to apply for your Driving Test please go to www.rsa.ie and scroll down to the link to apply for your driving test which is on the lower right side of the page. You may also phone the RSA on 1890 40 60 40 or by post-
Driver Testing Section
Road Safety Authority,
Moy Valley Business Park,